Ayurveda philosophy says we’d better prevent than cure. This approach to life aims at keeping physical, mental and spiritual health. If you’d like to follow Ayurvedic rules, check your dominant dosha type first.
Basic idea of Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, a human being and all that surrounds him is the energy. We all have our own energetic models that are assigned to three psychological types: vata, pitta and kapha. What you are depends on your appearance, traits, temperament, skills, health and proneness to certain illnesses. The doshas getting out of balance entail the occurrence of diseases and various ailments. Ayurveda, on the other hand, teaches us how to make use of diet and exercise to restore the energy balance for healthy body and soul.
Dosha types in Ayurveda
1. The air type (vata):
- is slim;
- has dry, thin, coarse skin;
- has dull, dry, brittle hair;
- has cold hands and feet;
- has mood swings;
- has ability to learn fast;
- is prone to insomnia;
- lacks persistence and self-confidence.
Illnesses that vata may face up to include insomnia, obstruction, nervous stomach, muscle cramps and tightness, gastrointestinal disorders, hemorrhoids, hypertension, arthritis, chronic pain.
Tips to follow: avoid overworking, have a daily routine, keep away from noise, crowd and hyperactivity, keep calm and enjoy the silence.
2. Features of fire and water type (pitta):
- medium build;
- freckles and moles;
- fine, red hair or blonde hair prone to premature graying;
- lack of problems with sleep;
- impatience, bad temper, tendency to get angry and irritated;
- entrepreneuress, ambition, determination to achieve goals;
- intelligence, critical thinking, ability to thoroughly analyze.
Pitta is exposed to baldness, reflux, stomach ulcers, skin conditions, superacidity, stress-triggered heart attacks, mucosal disorders.
Tips to follow: peaceful lifestyle, avoiding processed food, living in areas of pure water and pure air, avoiding alcohol, cigarettes and negative emotions, doing cheerful things and thinking outside the box.
3. Earth and water (kapha) tends to:
- have a large body frame;
- have sallow, thick, smooth skin;
- have thick, wavy hair;
- have white healthy teeth;
- be pretty lazy;
- be calm and meek;
- learn new things slowly;
- wake up slowly;
- have no problems with sleep;
- be possessive.
Kapha is prone to obesity, sinus infections, catching a cold, allergies, asthma, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, lung and bronchial disorders, sore joints.
Tips to follow: personal development, creative job requiring ongoing trainings, physical activity, not overeating.